A salad is by far my favorite meal and it’s not because I’m watching my waist line. It is such an easy way to load in a daily serving worth of vegetables, and it keeps me full for hours!
Most of you might disagree, but that’s because you aren’t loading your salads with a variety of nutrient dense, antioxidant-boosting, and delicious foods!
Below are my top two salad recipes that are not only packed with incredible nutrients for you (and your growing baby, if expecting), but also taste SO DAMN DELICIOUS, you’ll want to eat them everyday!
My Salad Requirements:
- There needs to be some sort of crunch
- There needs to be a lil bit sweet and a lil bit salty
- There needs to be a health fat which will keep me feeling full for hours
- There needs to be a variety of colors (“Eat the Rainbow”)
- There needs to be a combination of raw and cooked vegetables
- There needs to be some sort of “sauce” or creamy spread for dipping (which means, NO dressing required!)
Recipe 1: Kale, Black Bean, Salmon Salad
- Butternut Squash (roasted)
- Zucchini (roasted)
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- 2 tbsp Garlic Hummus (I scoop in the center of salad)
- 1/4 cup Black Beans
- 1 scoop Sauerkraut (for Gut health – Eden brand)
- 1 small Organic Gala Apple chopped
- 2 tbsp of Pine Nuts
- 1 serving of Wild-caught Salmon (baked & seasoned with chili powder, salt & pepper).
- *Zest salad with a squeeze of half of a lemon
Recipe 2: Avocado, Asparagus, Grilled Chicken Salad
- Butter Lettuce
- Baby Tomato
- Slaw mix (chopped cabbage, carrots, celery)
- Cauliflower Tabbouleh (Trader Joes brand)
- Asparagus (roasted)
- Cauliflower (roasted)
- 1/4 cup Jasmine Rice
- 1/4 Avocado
- 2 tbsp Beet Hummus (I scoop in center of salad)
- 1 scoop Kimchi Sauerkraut (for Gut health – Eden brand)
- Organic Chicken (grilled or baked – seasoned with sea salt, pepper & garlic powder)
*Portion ingredients based on your hunger/fullness cues
Meal Prep Tip: Pre-chop all vegetable to eat raw, roast or steam, and pre-cook all meats on Sundays so, you can grab and go and toss salads together throughout the week with ease! It takes a little bit of prep time, but YOU ARE WORTH IT. Your health is #1 and needs to be a priority.
- Eat SLOWWWLY (enjoy every bite, don’t rush).
- CHEW your food completely into a liquid (which will aid in digestion).
- Drop out of the Clean-your-plate Club and listen to your fullness cues (if you are becoming full, don’t feel like you have to keep eating so you don’t waste food. Throw in tupperware and save for later).
Eat up and Enjoy!