In order to heal your disordered relationship with food, you must make peace with your body and become reacquainted with your true self.
My complicated relationship with food started after I began dieting, in pursuit of a “perfect” body. I was always a healthy weight, athletic and strong, but felt pressure as a fitness professional to obtain 6-pack abs and a super lean physique. I thought it would make me a better trainer, more worthy and accomplished. Instead, my restrictive mentality and pursuit of perfection began an 8-year battle with food.
We all have our own story to share and it’s worth reflecting back to how it all started, so we’re able to gain awareness with compassion and love for ourselves and begin developing a healthier relationship with food and our bodies.
After years of:
Fighting food & ignoring body cues
How do you begin to make peace with food and your body and become reacquainted with your TRUE self?
Here’s what worked for me:
- Accept where you are
- Stop restricting
- Stop counting calories
- Stop striving for perfection
- Eat intuitively
- Let go of guilt associated with eating past fullness
- Get out of your head and into your body
- Be mindful by slowing down and being present
- Allow negative thoughts to come and go, without giving them power or acting on them
- Connect with your body and listen to it’s natural cues
- Honor your body by moving in a way that feels good
- Focus on what makes you happy and brings you more joy
- Practice self-care
- Surround yourself with supportive, positive people
- Reach out for help when you need it
- Envision yourself free from food and body obsession: Who would you be?
- Would you have more time to engage in fun hobbies?
- Would you have more space to be open to opportunities that come your way?
- Would you be able to go out to dinner free from anxious food thoughts?
- Would you wake up feeling vibrant, energetic and excited for the day, instead of slow-moving, negative and depressed?
- Would you follow your passions?
- Would you be more present in relationships?
- Would you live more in joy?
HOW AMAZING WOULD IT FEEL TO BE FREE?
If you follow these steps, accepting where you are, forgiving yourself for past mistakes, and move forward with love and compassion…